The Benjamin William Mkapa Foundation (BMF) is a non- profit Trust, established in 2006 with the vision towards healthy lives and well-being for all, in Tanzania and the rest of Africa. Its strategic mission is to contribute towards the attainment of better health outcomes through innovative health and related system solutions.
BMF’s vision and mission can be achieved through empowered workforce, which is self-motivated, committed to growth and integrity, and the one who seeks excellence in execution. BMF seeks for innovative, self-driven, dynamic and competent qualified candidates to fill the below vacancy: –
Position Title: Policy Engagement Manager
Reports to: Director of Programs
Direct Reports: Policy Engagement Officer
Duty Station: Benjamin William Mkapa Foundation – Headquarters, Dar es salaam
Overall Purpose of the Job:
To develop and execute key strategies to strengthen dialogue and advocacy initiatives that contribute to influencing improvement and/or development of national policies and guidelines.
This role will also support the implementation of BMF Policy engagement strategy, working closely with government officials, NGOs and other decision makers and opinion leaders. The Policy Engagement Manager is responsible for development of engagement strategies which will result in sustainable improvements to the health services delivery. The post holder is also responsible for strengthening networking and collaboration amongst stakeholders to encourage the development of pro-poor policies and achievement of health workforce, infrastructure and service delivery sector goals.
- Develop engagement/advocacy strategy, lead its execution, monitor and evaluate the impact of the strategy and facilitate continuous processes improvement in execution of the strategy.
- Establish and sustain effective working systems, tools and aids of the policy engagement unit of BMF to ensure efficiency, standards/quality, high impact and sustained advocacy initiatives of the Foundation.
- Develop a high impact systems and procedures to promote stakeholder’s engagement at all levels (both internal and external) in the advocacy initiatives of the Foundation.
- Collaborate with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Department to ensure readily availability of the analytical and evidence-based data and/research on BMF’s programs and other relative external data to inform various advocacy initiatives of the Foundation.
- Develop a system and lead in conducting periodic respective policy reviews to inform BMF’s programs, identify and utilize opportunities to input into the national ongoing policy development and review.
- Establish and manage robust systems and procedures on documentation and dissemination of BMF’s work to promote BMF’s professional credibility and visibility
- Collaborate with the Director of Programs to ensure the effective integration of program, policy engagement and advocacy activities to meet strategic objectives.
- Lead, manage, motivate and develop team members in area of responsibility in order to maximize their contribution to the team and organization.
- Develop relationships, partnerships and networks to ensure health workforce and service delivery matters are at the forefront of the agenda of key decision makers and policy dialogues.
- Contribute to capacity building and learning for both BMF staff and its partners to ensure that policy and advocacy issues are well integrated in their work
- Set, manage and monitor expenditure budget for strategic and annual plans in policy engagement and advocacy, adhering to financial guidelines, ensuring value for money and acting as appropriate within delegated authorities.
- Guide and oversee the preparation of policy briefing presentations/papers on key issues for both internal BMF and external audiences
- Ensure that BMF staff are regularly informed of developments in sector policies, for use in strategic, operational plans and reporting.
- Undertake any other responsibilities, tasks or activities as reasonably required.
Skills and Qualifications Required.
- Masters’ degree in social sciences
- At least 5 years of work experience at a senior level
- Ability to critically analyze official policy and to develop credible pro-poor policy alternatives
- Significant experience in relevant field, to include: Policy formulation, Advocacy; Proven ability to organize, coordinate and evaluate successful campaigns; Research; Strategic planning
- Comfortable with engaging key decision-makers in policy discussions in a way that enhances the reputation of BMF as a credible and influential interlocutor
- Experience of leading, managing and motivating others and building high performing teams.
- Good IT skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a politically sensitive environment, and engage effectively with high level decision makers in policy discussions
- Excellent command of verbal and written Swahili and English
- Demonstrable understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and knowledge of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy
- Experience in the NGO sector desirable and working in close collaboration or with the Government is an added advantage.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
For all interested candidate send your achievement focused CV, copy of relevant academic certificates and cover letter addressed to the Chief Executive Officer, Benjamin W. Mkapa Foundation, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org The advert can also be found on our website: www.mkapafoundation.or.tz
|The deadline for application is on Tuesday, 26th November 2020 BMF is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity |
RELEASED BY: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, BENJAMIN WILLIAM MKAPA FOUNDATION